Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bacon Quinoa | Post 11

The Day I Tried To Impress A Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Friend

Before the wedding, I promised one of my flower girls, Audrey, that once I was married she could come over and eat whatever she wanted at my new house.  She chose macaroni-and-cheese and pizza.  For weeks before (and after) the wedding, she talked about "Mac Roni Cheese and peet-zi at Titi Caylub's house?

This past week Audrey, accompanied by her gf/df mamma and baby sister, Piglet, came over for lunch.  I was not about to try making gf/df mac&cheese and pizza.  No way.  

Quinoa, sweet potato fries, and chilled cucumbers - now that sounded right Janet's alley, and right in line with my cooking abilities.

Even though I've never made quinoa before, I've eaten before, so I had a fairly good idea of what would taste good with the healthy little grains.  I also had a fairly good idea of how to make it unhealthy.

Bu-hahhaah-haha:

BACON!
pc: delish.com
Trader Joe's Quinoa (or any kind.)

Oil (olive, coconut, whateveeeer)
Half an onion, chopped
Minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped, defrosted, raw bacon
The leftovers of frozen pea bag (it was probably about 3/4 a cup?)


Salt + Peppa
Garlic Salt
Cayenne Pepper/Chili Powder/Taco Seasoning (just something with some kick)

ONE: Make one cup of quinoa in pot according to box instructions.

TWO: While quinoa is cooking, heat up a good ol' dump of olive oil in frying pan.  Add onions and garlic. Cook for two-ish minutes.  Add BACON!  Once the bacon is cooked, add the frozen peas.  Feel free to salt + pepper as you feel led.  No legalism here.  You are free to cook as you'd please.

THREE: Once quinoa is done, dump from pot into pan.  Mix around.  Season with garlic salt, spicy seasoning, and salt'n'peppa.  Taste it.  If it tastes bland, season more.  

--

It's savory yet light, salty and fresh, and really, really good for the soul.  Janet had four helpings.  I was on cloud nine.  Some of her balsamic vinegar (drizzled fantastically on the cucumbers) slid over to the quinoa.  Her next helping she went ahead and poured balsamic on the quinoa on purpose!  Also:  I burned the pizza, Audrey didn't eat her mac&cheese, and not only did I burn the sweet potato fries, I completely forgot I was even making them so they kind of disintegrated in the oven.  Hip hip hooray for quinoa!

3 comments:

  1. I've been trying to think of a recipe to introduce Behr to bacon with... and this somehow feels "healthier" than just handing him a piece of bacon at nine months old. ;-) Maybe with a handful of green onion too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think quinoa is my love language. nope, sorry, that would be bacon. or actually chocolate. or buttery lenses at 1.4. orrrrrrr...wait, what was the question again? ;)
    one of my favorite quinoa recipes is quinoa with chopped mangos, tomatoes, and avocados, drizzled (by drizzled, I mean ladled with as much sauce as can be socially acceptable) with a lemon + cumin dressing. delishhh. and when I go back for more, I pretend I'm healthy because I justify thirds and fourths with the veggies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was pretty much a favorite. And we loved seeing you. Food and all. :)

    ReplyDelete